Monday, April 15, 2013

April 15th 2013

Dear Family,
    I can't believe that it was spring break for all of you!! I totally missed it! I don't think I have even realized that it is April yet...
It was pretty funny that you brought up Monsons Fire story in your letter dad! I was thinking the same thing while he told it! I think mine is way more exciting though! I am really looking forward to getting that conference ensign so thank you for ordering me one! 
    Ashley Dale is getting married? That is sweet! Life just rolls right along doesnt it. I feel like I am going to get home and find out a ton of people are married and on missions. 
    So this week we had dinner with our Bishop! It was great. I love our bishop and his wife! I could spend all day talking to them! Bishop is very smart  and knows a lot about the Gospel and history and how it goes together. I had some questions for him about the temple and he helped me understand some things, but those questions led to us talking about questions that investigators have and questions that people against the church have and it was just cool. I have learned a lot about church doctrine and events in the history of the church and I have had companions that have known a lot to and it is very apparent as I have learned that most members don't even fully understand the gospel or the doctrine or even know about what has happened in church history. But anyways essentially what i am trying to say is that we had a really good conversation about the church. And as we talked and as he helped me understand some things, the spirit testified to me as I learned that the Church is just simply true. I guess you could say it "distilled upon my soul." (I knew you'd like that one dad) I have felt the spirit many times on my mission, but I always get an extra special feeling when Questions of my soul are answered and my conversion is deepened. I think that in our own way we are all always investigating the church in a sense. we are always looking to strengthen our testimony, find answers to our questions, and deepen our personal conversion. I am so thankful to be here on my mission. In a very selfish sense you could make an argument that the greatest miracle on my mission is myself. It is a miracle that the Lord could take me, a natural man, and through the healing and enabling power of the atonement, make me into something better. i hope that doesn't sound proud, but I truly can say like Ammon that I boast of my God because without him I would not be able to accomplish anything. I have felt in my heart as I have served that a "mighty change" is taking place. The very Desires of my heart are being changed and my disposition is to do good. Not that I wasn't good before, but I did indeed have some carnal desires. Luckily, for me and for everyone a way was provided to "put off the natural man" AND "become a saint" I feel as though my mission is helping me put off the natural man that i was so that I can come home and work towards being a saint the rest of my life. I am so thankful to have this wonderful gospel in my life! It IS true. This is not just A church it is THE Church. It is Gods kingdom on the earth. maybe instead of asking people if they want to hear a message I should start to ask people if they want to become a part of the Kingdom of God! 
     So this week we had a great lesson with a lady named Kathleen and her Daughter Hannah. This is the fourth time we have seen them but only the second that we were able to teach. It was a good lesson but the highlight was Kathleen praying for the first time in awhile at the end.. it was SWEET. There is serious POWER behind an honest faithful and simple prayer. If you remember, I think a ways back I talked about hannah praying for the first time, that was a powerful experience as well. sometimes i dont get how investigators arent convinced the church is true after they pray.. They are powerful sincere prayers!! It is just so obvious!! People Do not realize at all what is sitting right in front of them if they will just grab it and hold on!! 
     I know this is the true church of Jesus Christ. I know that the Gospel is the way and the Only way to return to Our heavenly fathers Presence. there is no greater work than that of  Assisting our father in heaven accomplish his great and glorious purpose!! "For behold, this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and Eternal life of man! How do we receive Eternal life? By obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. What gate do we need to pass through to get on the path to eternal life? the gate of baptism. Who invites people to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy ghost and enduring to the end? The Missionaries! By fulfilling our purpose as missionaries we essentially help god accomplish his purpose! No wonder "the greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel" How lucky am i?
     Well I need to get going So have a great week I love you!
Love Elder nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment